Old December 27th 18, 05:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
V1[_4_]

Default Recirculate cockpit air to keep feet warm?

I wouldn’t argue with the suggestions for foot/boot insulation – that’s all good. I would only add a perspective on treating causes vs. symptoms.

I lead winter outings for the Sierra Club and have read a moderate amount about the issues of keeping warm. A key point is that the reason (cause) for hands/feet/ears/etc. getting cold is that our core (chest & central organs) are getting cool, so our body compensates to protect the core by reducing blood flow to the extremities (symptom). We of course don’t want to be so warm at our core as to sweat, but one response to feet being cold is to add a layer to our core, so as to move up within the range of comfortable core temperatures. In other words, you might not *feel* particularly cold in your core, but still be able to be somewhat warmer without sweating. Something to consider.
- Frank Allen