Old April 12th 06, 09:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Circle to Land @ KRBG

On 04/12/06 13:31, Al wrote:
At our home field, KRBG, Roseburg, Oregon, we use left traffic for both ends
of our RWY 34-16. The approach procedures cite "Circling east of the rwy
34-16 centerline not authorized". What do I do when I break out, and have
to "circle west of the centerline for RWY 16", while VFR traffic is flying
the normal left traffic(east of centerline) for RWY16?

Al

That is interesting. At a typical airport, the circling minimums are below
the TPA altitude, so you probably would not be circling in IFR conditions
while VFR aircraft are flying within the traffic pattern.

However, in looking at the information for your airport, the TPA is 1500 MSL
(971 AGL) while the circling minimum (for category A) is 2600 MSL (1740 MSL if
you use DME) - which is higher than the TPA.

I can understand why the circling minimums might be higher than the normal TPA
(they need to provide 1000' of obstacle clearance out to a defined radius,
etc.) but don't know what the answer is in this case.

I can see why they don't let you circle east: There's a tower sitting at
1873 MSL, which must not be in the way for the standard VFR pattern.

I will be very interested to see what others have to say about this.

Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
Sacramento, CA