Old July 18th 05, 09:52 PM

karel wrote:
has the canard concept ever been applied to a flying boat?
with pusher propellers?
if not, any good reasons?

I know someone who made a VW powered canard equipped amphibian.
Dunno if it was a pusher or a puller, I'll ask next EAA meeting.

IIUC, the plane flew well in the air but would not break free of
the water at less than 70 mph. Considering that until then, the
air rudder was ineffective and the water rudder became ineffective
around 40 - 45 mph that make takeoffs a bit hairy.

He said landing speed on the water was also around 70 mph, not
sure of the reason for that, surely his stall speed was lower.

That plane has been dismantled and the engine used for his current
non-canard amphibian project (tractor), now undergoing taxi tests.

AFAIK, no website.

--

FF