Old August 22nd 10, 01:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Garry O

Default RANS S-9 Chaos loses a wing

"Flaps_50!" wrote in message
On Aug 19, 8:05 pm, "Morgans" wrote:
"Oliver Arend" wrote

Even if you have a BRS installed, it is advisable to try an emergency
landing in a suitable field, since very likely the structure of the
airplane will suffer less damage. As someone pointed out, the airplane
comes down nose first, usually with a speed of about 5-6 m/s (15-20 ft/
s). That can break a lot of expensive stuff (prop, engine, fuselage).

Some airplanes, like Cirrius, have a harness that supports the aircraft,
and
the aircraft comes down in a more or less level attitude. Are you saying
that your aircraft have the harness attatched to the aircraft so that it
always comes down nose first, or just that it will sometimes get tangled
and
come down nose first?

It would seem like it would be a big advantage to come down level, for
the
aircraft and the passengers.
--

When you pancake in the risk is to your spine and you need proper
cushions/sear design to take care of that. As far as I know, with some
(?most) parachute systems you hit the ground at about 23 mph which is
equivalent to dropping the plane from about 15 feet. Such an impact
will probably do serious damage to the plane making it a write off.
So, I don't rate the planes chances much. Whether the planes
structural failure will affect your chances to climb out unaided is
moot. I think that a pull on the handle should be considered to be
the last resort when you know you are not able to glide to a forced
landing. I imagine that in some terrain the chute may be a bad idea
compared to a pilot controlled crash. So IMHO the chute is a good
device to have as an option but also has some negative features and
needs proper training for best use. For example, suppose your engine
fails at 500' -should you pull the handle? Which is safer, to land in
the tops of trees or fall vertically under parachute and risk cabin
penetration? In mountains, do you want to parachute into the sides or
crash land on a ridge or valley? I hope you see my point.

Cheers

One of the themes developing here it the recoverability of the air frame,
what a crock!!
if the pilot feels that the situation is so far beyond his/her capabilities
then I think that any damage to the airframe is the furthest thing from
their mind and rather they have taken a course of action designed to make
their survivability a priority.
honestly do you think someone would pull the chute if they only thought
"maybe I can't do this" or when they thought "****!! this is going to hurt"

--
[This comment is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Church of
Scientology International]