Old December 16th 15, 07:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

Default $100,000 Drone Detection Contest

On Thu, 17 Dec 2015 07:19:06 +1200, george152 wrote:

On 12/16/2015 12:18 PM, Larry Dighera wrote:
On Mon, 14 Dec 2015 17:36:11 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Monday, December 14, 2015 at 5:22:57 PM UTC-5, Larry Dighera wrote:
http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/100000-Drone-Detection-Contest-225359-1.html
$100,000 Drone Detection Contest
By Russ Niles

MITRE Corporation has put a $100,000 bounty on misbehaving drones through a
contest aimed at bringing them down.

I call dibbs on the ACME rocket-fired, fishnet/parachute.

---

I'm thinkin' more along the lines of a light weight, directed EMP field
generator ... :-) Something like a radar transmitter that would
electromagneticly overwhelm the GPS and servo-control receivers aboard the UAS,
or better yet powerful enough disable the RX front-end electronics, or to
actually induce sufficient current into the control wiring to lock-up the uP.

A smarter approach might be to employ a high wattage RF transmitter to over
power the "perpetrator's" puny signal, and wrest control of the UAS ...

Of course, a Regain-era "Star-Wars" laser is a natural for the NRA crowed if
accurate targeting could be developed, and collateral damage minimized.

Or a 12 gauge shotgun

Hey. It's apparently legal in Kentucky:
http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/28/9625468/drone-slayer-kentucky-cleared-charges

Judge rules Kentucky man had the right to shoot down his neighbor’s drone
By James Vincent on October 28, 2015 09:21 am @jjvincent

A Kentucky man who shot down a drone flying near his property has been cleared
of all charges by a local judge. William Merideth was originally cited for
criminal mischief and wanton endangerment after shooting the drone out of the
air in July this year, but Judge Rebecca Ward ruled that he was right to do so
after reviewing testimony from neighbors that the aircraft was flying near
Merideth's house.

"I think it's credible testimony that his drone was hovering [...] for two or
three times over these people's property, that it was an invasion of their
privacy and that they had the right to shoot this drone," Ward told the court
according to a report from Sky News. "I'm going to dismiss his charge."

"I'M JUST SHOCKED, BEYOND SHOCKED."

The drone's pilot, David Boggs, described the hearing as "unbelievable,"
claiming that Ward did not review video evidence he submitted showing that the
drone was over 200 feet in the air when it was shot down. "She believed what
the neighbor said and that the drone was below the tree line," Boggs told Ars
Technica. "The judge didn’t look at the video, paid no consideration to the
video. I’m just shocked, beyond shocked."

Meredith gained national attention after shooting down the DJI Phantom 3 drone,
and was dubbed the "drone slayer" by some. The case highlights the murky legal
territory that surrounds the use of drones near private property. Although the
Federal Aviation Authority (FAA) is clear about issues such as licensing drones
for businesses, incidents like the one involving Merideth and Boggs are judged
on a case-by-case basis.

Boggs told Ars that he now plans to file a civil suit against Merideth. "My
original thing was for him to just replace the drone, but it’s much bigger than
that now — he lies and then doubles down on his lies," he said. "I will
probably meet with my attorney this week and we will start that process."

Verge Video: Drone registration is coming. This is what we know