Old November 24th 18, 09:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim[_33_]

Default Pilot certificate required?

On Saturday, November 24, 2018 at 12:33:37 PM UTC-8, Sierra Whiskey wrote:
If it takes one crew member to fly, then that crew member is required. Otherwise it will be an "optionally piloted" aircraft or a "remotely operated" aircraft.

Thank you Sierra Whiskey. Makes sense. I think my wish for direct and clear FARs is naive.

As an aside, it is also interesting that 61.31 appears to state that a pilot (certificated I suppose) only needs to be rated for a particular aircraft if the pilot is to fly another person or for compensation or hire in that aircraft.

Please, let us leave that pandora's box unopened.