Old January 7th 21, 04:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

Default RAntonov A-15

On Thu, 07 Jan 2021 06:25:57 -0800, Eric Greenwell wrote:

Martin Gregorie wrote on 1/7/2021 5:18 AM:
On Thu, 07 Jan 2021 02:52:15 +0100, Andreas Maurer wrote:

On Wed, 6 Jan 2021 15:14:07 -0800 (PST), 2G
wrote:

I am (or was) 6' 2" and fit into an ASW19 just fine with the seat
back removed.

6'7" here. ASW-20 fits perfectly.

ASW-19, ASW-20 and Pegase all use the same fuselage, so if you're
comfortable in one you will be happy sitting in any of them.

An extra to Andreas' previous comments: I've just discovered, rather to
my amusement, that the all-metal, 18m Open class Antonov A-15 has, on
paper at least, near-identical performance to a Standard Libelle (in
terms of glide ratio and stalling, best-glide and Vne speeds) despite
being around 100kg heavier.

However, I've only ever seen one A-15, at the Sazena, Czechoslovakia
club in 1997. Its quite a pretty glider and I've always wondered how
nice they are to fly: there were several airworthy examples around 20
years ago: are there any still flying?

Wikipedia lists it with a 17 m span. Were there variants? It looks so
much like a Schreder design (HP-14, etc), I'm wondering if it also had
90 degree flaps and the same structure. With 350 produced, according to
Wikipedia, it seems there should still be many around, somewhere.

18m was my mistake - should have written 17m - but some sources do say it
was an 18m glider. Sources disagree on its and weight performance too.

It uses Fowler flaps and Martin Simons says the ailerons droop with them,
but I haven't found any description of what the maximum flap angle would
be. Since the flaps form the underside of the TE when retracted, it seems
unlikely that setting them negative is possible. It has conventional top-
surface airbrakes with a single, perforated paddle.

It can carry up to 50kg of water.

I do wonder how much benefit its retractable undercarriage is, because
only half the wheel is visible when extended and the fuselage seems to
sit quite close to the ground, so you might expect landout damage to its
undersurface.

I've not seen any references to different versions.

Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org