Old July 23rd 13, 04:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Hostage

Default e Reader options for xc soar?

I am flying with a Nook Simple Touch, loaded with TopHat (a derivative of
XCSoar, see: tophat.freeforums.org), connected to a Cambridge 302. The
display is superb in direct sunlight and the update rate is immaterial,
given that I use the instrument for occasional quick reference, not
detailed and continuous study.

I have mounted the Nook on a stalk attached to the cockpit side rail,
giving me full panel access for regular instruments.

Mike

At 15:23 23 July 2013, Dan Marotta wrote:
These new devices are interesting, notwithstanding possible slowness.
However, I wonder how you mount them in the cockpit since they're so

large.

Will you make a leg strap or mount it to a stalk? Simply laying it on

your

lap could become an expensive surprise when you hit a strong vertical

shear

and it rises up and through your canopy!

I made paper cutouts of all my instruments and of various sized Android
devices and tried laying them on a spare uncut panel I have. Not even a 7

inch model could be integrated into my panel and I didn't want a Ram
mounted
thing that big blocking the view of my panel.

For now, my Streak on a home made mount works great but I'm always on the

lookout for a suitable replacement.

"Jp Stewart" wrote in message
That's the traditional Nook "Simple Touch"

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/nook...ble/1102344735

I can vouch for it as an e-reader but it is pretty slow for something

like
xc-soar.

JP