Old February 24th 19, 04:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

Default We all talk about

On Sunday, February 24, 2019 at 4:15:05 AM UTC-8, Dave Walsh wrote:
Pylon self-launchers fall into 2 groups:
(i) DG400/PIK20E/DG800A/DG600M types where both the engine
and the prop and mast are sticking out into the airstream.
(ii) ASH26E/DG800B/DG808C types where just the prop and mast
are sticking out into the airstream.

If I recall correctly the DG400 certification required that DG
demonstrate an engine stopped and erected plus full air brake
landing. W Dirks (the D in DG) performed this but suffered some
minor back injury. (Well this is what I was told 30 years ago when
I first flew a DG400, I can't vouch for its accuracy).

So the advice was always to have NO air brake extended during
the round out: the sink rate with extended stopped engine is
pretty substantial. The other advice was to very aware of
turbulence from the stopped engine masking elevator feel.
Dave Walsh

While the normsl stall characteristics of the ASH26E are benign, stalling it with the prop up and not turning can be less predictable, as Dave suggests.
I'd suspect this to be true with any "Klappi".
Jim