Old January 8th 06, 04:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

Default Engine Making Metal (Was: Nasa Icing courses)

The intake cam lobe for the #3 and #4 cylinders failed and is worn down
considerably, hence the engine coming off and waiting for the crate.

I've been following your engine woes with great interest, Ray, and not a
small bit of horror. To say you are living one of my worst nightmares is
not far from the truth, and I feel your pain.

Does anyone *really* know what causes a camshaft to fail like this? I read
about it happening with alarming regularity, and it's never attributed to
anything in particular. It's always treated like an act of God, or like a
weather phenomenon, rather than like the mechanical failure it is.

And mechanical failures should have simple explanations, no? WHY did one
of the cam lobes fail? Why didn't ALL of the cam lobes fail?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA