Old January 9th 06, 08:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Covering an ultralight wing with Monokote

I've thought about this - and intend to try something similar in the
future. Tedlar has been proven to work on ultra lights so the concept
is sound. Monokote is pretty high priced and seems to tear easily once
the rip starts.

For a more inexpensive option you might investigate the material I have
in mind - boat shrink wrap. It's very inexpensive comes in a few
colors and thickness, is as tough as Tedlar, and probably could be
installed with similar methods. The tape used I know for a fact has
the durability and grip strength for ultra light applications. Look
for "preservation" tape.

As with anything experimental do the tests your self to verify the
materials and methods. My only real world experience with this kind of
material has been with the cheap clear shrink type sold in hardware
stores for storm window fabrication. It has some draw backs but will
hold together for a surprising length of time on a structure like a
rudder or elevator - at speed to 80 MPH. Never done a wing with
Leon McAtee