Old January 4th 05, 03:56 PM
Marco Leon

As long as you are sure it isn't the wheels completing their retraction into
the wheel well, then it is probably the struts extending to its
full-extended position. Or it may be the brakes stopping the turn of the
wheels before it starts its retraction. I've flown many hours around the
world and the main "bang" I remember is the retraction of the main wheels.

Marco Leon

"G Farris" wrote in message
I've flown a lot of planes, of different sizes, and I always lift off

gently.
When I fly as a passenger on an airliner though, there is a "thud" or even

"bang" as the main wheels leave the runway. Sometimes this bang is so loud

is
frightens passengers, and once it was strong enough (on a 777 departing

for
Hong Kong) that I was sure we'd at least blown a tire, if not actually

struck
something with the mains. But in the end, it's always OK - just normal.

Who
knows what this is? Is it the pusher actuators on the main gear? The
telescoping elements of the main gear bottoming out? Just curious. . .

G Faris