Old August 10th 08, 12:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Copperhead144

Default Hangers for Experimentals

On Aug 8, 12:51*pm, steveukman wrote:
I have an opportunity to purchase some land with access to a grass
airstrip - this could be a dream come true.

Does anybody have recommendations for hanger companies to talk to (or
experience using general contractors to build this type of
structure). *If there are companies that work with us ordinary
'Experimantal' folks *rather than millionaires or corporations for
modest buildings, the information would be really appreciated.

I have a family, demanding day job and Sonex project - so building a
hanger myself would probably be stretching myself way too thin.

Many Thanks
Steve

By now you've found that a simple pole barn type of building will
suffice for your need's. If you have access to a sawmill you may
purchase most of your wood from them, yes you can put wood siding on a
barn or hanger. :-). I've begun a workshop with saw mill lumber and am
using deck screws as much as possible and will do my own floor as
well. One other option not to be dismissed is a fabric covered
building such as the portable shelters or greenhouses your often see
on farms. Rag Wing Aero offers plans for this or your can purchase a
ready to install kit, these are good for at least five years but most
of the one's I've seen are lasting far longer into the 7-10+ year
range. Factor in a dirt or gravel floor for these though.