Old September 22nd 17, 09:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default ADSB visibility with non certified GPS

Thanks for your patience.

On 9/22/2017 12:38 PM, Darryl Ramm wrote:
On Friday, September 22, 2017 at 9:11:34 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
This is very confusing.Â* So a TN72 is not a TSO device, but is compliant
and therefore can be mounted in an experimental aircraft which will be
seen by all compliant ADS-B In systems?Â* I feel cheated by having a
certificated aircraft!

On 9/21/2017 8:31 PM, Darryl Ramm wrote:
Walt, I think you are misunderstanding what Trig wrote. A TN72 GPS Source will be seen by everybody. That is why anybody doing ADS-B Out in an experimental glider with a TT22 should be equipping with at least a TN72 (or TN70, TN70 required for certified gliders).

--
Dan, 5J

You, and everybody else will continue to be confused if you keep talking about "TSO" and not specifying what TSO you are talking about. This caused lot of unneeded confusion and many posts on r.a.s. when the TN72 was announced. I don't know how many times I;ve already pointed this out.

The TN72 is a TSO-C199 Class B (aka TABS GPS source) device. Which from a regulation point of view makes no difference, since there are no installation or usage regulations that cover TSO-C199 devices. But since it is TSO-C199 we know important things about it's GPS quality, SIL parsameters, etc. and how it will interact with IFR GPS receivers and ground infrastructure.

The TN72 is Not TSO-C145 (requited for ADS-B Out in certified aircraft)

The TN72 does not meet TSO-C145 requirements (so can't be used for ADS-B Out in experimental aircraft where you want to us it to meet 2020 carriage requirements, in the case of gliders can't be used to meet requirements in the few areas where exemptions don't cover).

---

But yes I agree on the "feeling cheated" part in general, it points out the regulations are kinda stupid, especially when applied to gliders.

--
Dan, 5J