Old January 17th 05, 03:06 PM
Maule Driver

It all sounds like good stuff but it's more of a set of small upgrades
than an annual.

The wet pump thing is something I considered. I did get a Precise
Flight backup system (not pump). Consider that I got 900 hours out of
my dry pump before a precautionary replace with a rebuilt. My thinking
is that getting a wet pump and a PF backup system is like belt and
suspenders - a very good thing given the possible consequences. But
having a dry pump and a PF backup is essentially the same thing. The
only failure I've had in my vac system was the AI - nothing that vac
backup can do anything about. Perhaps any delta between a dry and wet
system would be better spent towards an electric AI.

What kind of a/c do you own?

wrote:
Our first annual last year increased our plane ownership cost by 50%
(engine overhaul, prop governor overhaul + few other big ticket
replacement parts + labor). When Rick and I tallied up all the things
we want our AP to do this year, it looked like we have to reach deep
into our pockets again.

Here is the list

1. Replace the dry vacuum pump with an Airwolf wet pump + Air/oil
separator(~$2500 not including labor - our AP estimated 1-2 days!). Our
original plan was to get a new dry pump (the existing one has been
spewing some carbon) + Precise Flight backup pump. Since we intend to
get instrument rating and may attempt IFR traveling (probably mostly
soft IFR), we think that the wet vacuum option would be a wiser choice
and may even out the initial cost in the long run.

2. Replace all side windows and the back window. The windshield seems
to be in good shape although our AP thinks that we will not like it as
much once the other windows are replaced! Of course, we will also want
to use the opportunity to add a photo window. This will most likely
cost at least $1K not including labor (luckily our AP allows
owner-assisted manual).

3. Replace the passenger seatbelt with shoulder harness/seatbelt. We
replaced the pilot/copilot belts last year. The cost will be reasonable
($250 or something) but probably will take a bit of labor (will try to
this ourselves again).

4. Install a cigarette lighter with multiple plugs. Probably will not
cost much but this is something we must ask our AP to do.

5. Replace the two wingtips and one stabilator tip: ~ $1K in part. Not
sure about labor. We can either do this now during the annual or let
the paint shop do it. The same goes with the nose bowls. Our AP patched
them up a bit last year but more extensive restoration will be required
for the new paint job. One of the paint shops gave an estimate of $1K
for the nose bowl job.

6. Miscellaneous stuffs: Attempt to reinstall the door bracket. Our AP
tried it once but a previous repair attempt left some rivets in the
wrong place so he had to pop the new bracket out.
Pitot/Static/Transponder check: just hope that we don't have to replace
anything else! Not sure of the cost. Last summer, Rick got the plane
weighed (after we replaced some avionics and added thermal/sound
insulation) and had the prop rebalanced. I was surprised to learn that
it cost over $500 to weigh the plane but less than $200 for prop
balancing. Replace the throttle control (again, just hope that it would
be a minor job with minimum cost). Our annual is scheduled for Feb 15.
I'm pretty sure we will think of few more items by then.

The list above and the paint job (current estimates ranging from
$10-$12K) will pretty much preclude us from taking any expensive
vacations this year. There go most of our dive trips this year. Just
hope that my 92 Honda Accord with over 230K miles will last few more
years. A Garmin 430 is most likely on the list for next year. I am
trying to convince Rick that with two pilots in the family, we don't
need 'no stinking autopilot' ;-). Not sure whether this argument will
hold when we face turbulent in IMC after getting our instrument
tickets. Speaking of IFR training, I had thought of doing either a West
Coast Adventures Trip with Field Morey or an East Coast
IFR Trip with Dough Stewart.

http://www.ifrwest.com/
http://www.dsflight.com/about.html

No doubt that either one will be a tremendous learning experience and
we will be much better pilots (and hopefully with instrument ratings)
but those trips ain't cheap either.
Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket ;-)

Hai Longworth
N30703