Old November 25th 05, 09:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

Default Dumb Q re R22

JohnO wrote:
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego wrote:
On 23 Nov 2005 12:52:22 -0800, "JohnO" wrote:
Dunno. I'll ask Frank when I see him at the factory safety course...

Heh! Don;t forget to report back!

EFI aircraft engines can be finicky to start when hot. As far as
mixture goes, I don't know anyone who touches the mixture control in a
robby other than to push it down to full rich at engine start and idle
cutoff when shutting down.

I'd like to see an R44 based turbine powered ship from Robinson myself

But why? Isn't the R44 is about as fast as a light turbine anyway? What
would happen to the operating costs with a turbine?
Cheers,

JohnO

I recently attended the Robinson safety course. No plans for a turbine
R-44, but
Frank spoke about a larger turbine helicopter, a 5 or six seater in the
planning
stages. Apparently they have spent (in Frank's words) an exorbitant
amount of
money researching aviation diesel, to no avail. They were also unable
to find a
compatible piston engine for their new larger helicopter idea. So it
was back to
the drawing board, with turbine in mind this time. I can't wait to
see what Frank
and his engineers come up with!