Old March 11th 10, 08:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval
frank

Default "Vanishing American Air Superiority"

On Mar 10, 7:27*pm, "Ken S. Tucker" wrote:
On Mar 10, 4:03 pm, Jim Wilkins wrote:

On Mar 10, 1:56 pm, "Ken S. Tucker" wrote:

How would lasers mounted on the AWAC affect the dynamic?...
Ken-

Ever been on an AWACS? They are quite full of people watching
terminals, not much room for megawatt laser power supplies.
jsw

Here's a recent report about mobile LASER capability,http://www.msnbc.msn..com/id/4926840
where we'll be in 5-10 years together with better electronics is hard
to say. It's reminds of a B-17 type turreted gunship using LASER
pulses in place of bullets, it's (reportedly) been demo'd.
Ken

Biggest problem is powering the LASER. Only one that is anywhere close
to working is absolutely huge out at WSMR. I doubt the Airborne LASER
will ever get operational, it'll be just another USAF project for SDI
that dies for cost, not working out of the lab or some other reason.
Add in getting close enough to the target to do the job (assuming that
somebody that wants to launch a missile is going to let you do that is
iffy at best), in all weather 24/7 and being right the first time,
well, way too many ifs for the money.

Lots of good uses for LASERs, weapons are a long way off. No matter
what the PR puff pieces say. And they are a dime a dozen, have been
for going on decades.