Old June 6th 08, 10:23 AM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,us.military.army
g lof2

Default Bush 'Plans Iran Air Strike by August'

On Jun 2, 4:30*am, Vince Brannigan wrote:
g lof2 wrote:
On Jun 1, 8:02 am, "Jeffrey Hamilton" wrote:
"PaPaPeng" wrote in message

. ..

On Sat, 31 May 2008 09:20:54 -0700, tankfixer
wrote:
In article ,
says...
On Fri, 30 May 2008 21:50:00 -0700, tankfixer
wrote:
YOu need to read the BS coming out of China now as they try to spin the
damage in the earthquake areas
--
If only Dubya could claim the same degree of disrepute after Katrina
he'd be grinning from ear to ear.
Glad you can admit the Chinese people are unhappy with how their
government is acting.
That is a good first step.
You really need to take remedial reading lessons.
You need to take reality lessons.
They [CNN] reported on and showed *parents* who had lost their only child in
the recent earthquakes. These people spoke of their children being told not
to *jump* in the classrooms, by their teachers. Evidently the teachers felt
the schools were of sub-standard construction and were not capable of
sustaining the forces of excited children jumping up and down. The gist of
the story was *the schools* fell down when other buildings remained
standing.
Corruption rules!

Sorry to disappoint you Jeff, but the shear number of build, not just
school, but apartment blocks and factories that colapsed * points to
incompents, not Corruption as the problem.

it proves no such thing

* As I told Vince, the

promble with codes and standards are that people assume that the
people creating them know what they are doing, and that build to those
standard is safe enough. But codes are rarely customize to specify
areas until after a disaster points out the shortcoming. (Have you
ever notices that the strictes firecode in the US is in Chicago.)
Therefore until the quake hit, the people build the school may have
truly thought they were building safe buildings.

you can easily have corruption at the "code making" level

Now I am not saying they might have been cases of corruption in
China's construction industries, but I doubt it was so great to cause
the amount of destruct seen hera.

It can if the corruption was at the code level.

Both kinds of corruption are common

Maybe, but never underestimate the power of human stupidity, far more
people have die due to honest mistakes, than deliberated misfeasance.
I take a crook that skates close too the edge over the honest man who
will drive you over out of ignorances.

I just wrote an ethics letter on the private funding of code officials
participation in the US code making process

We will have a whole conference on codes and some of these issues in
Edinburgh this fall

True corruption, or will it inculde 'conflicts of interest'? One real
issue we had decussed when I was doing my Masters (Yes I have a MsME)
was when does avoiding 'conflict of interest' begin to hurt other. One
example was one of my profressor was a expert in solar archieture, and
his research was back by some companies interested in windows and
insulation. His expertises would be invaluable to revising the
building codes about insulation requirment, but they never asked his
because of his sponcers.