Old June 25th 08, 03:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.marketplace,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gig 601Xl Builder

Default Aeronca 11AC Chief Project FS

Victor Bravo wrote:
On Jun 24, 6:32 am, Gig 601Xl Builder
wrote:

Jay, he's full of crap. The Horz Stab has four attach points. It doesn't
move at all unless you count the fact that the entire airplane moves
when you move it.

I am indeed full of crap sometimes, but not this time. The four attach
points that Dr. Einstein here was referring to are the exact parts
that moved slightly when I pulled on the stabilizer tip.

You said 3 inches. I went out to the airport last night and checked this
just to be sure. On my unfinished 601XL (but the tail is attached per
specs) I was able to get 1/2 inch. of total movement. So either you got
you were dealing with a broken 601XL or as I said before you are full
of crap.

But let's say you were correct, and I am most certainly not saying that
you are, what possible in-flight stress could take advantage of such a
condition to cause damage or failure of the plane? I can't think of any
force acting on the airframe in flight that would do what you are doing
with your hand.

Now I'm not saying you couldn't bend the attach points enough to make it
move 3" but you'd only get to do that once on my plane before I hit you
with a baseball bat.