Old June 20th 05, 08:29 PM
Le Chaud Lapin

Everett M. Greene wrote:
There's also the factor of parts' availability for
original manufacture and longer-term repairs. It
is my understanding that components for commodity
PCs have production runs measured in days.

Yes, that's true, but I think that is more a matter of the rate of
innovation in the software/electronics industries. This actually hints
at the essence of what I am thinking about. If the aircraft industry
opens up to the software industry (and commodity consumer electronics),
there would be an explosion in interchangeable options, driving the
price very low. Once this happens, the cabins of low-end aircraft
might start too look like this:

1. electronic flight log book
2. data logging for everything, for every second of the trip
3. maps of entire planet, in multiple forms.
4. flat-panel displays, 1 for each occupant, independent headsets.
5. full-blown entertainment system with library of say, 10,000 songs.
6. DVD players, one for each occupant.
7. auto-pilot with every type of NAV-AID
8. software radio for tuning to any frequency...simulatneously.
9. on-screen assistance for flight patterns (smoke ring tunnels, etc.)
10. black-box recording of detailed information
11. real-time narration of history/geography or region immediately
below
12. computer-controlled climatization, including seat warming
13. seat-massagers
14. overhead satellite reception (Sirius, etc.)
15. computer controlled occupant-independent lighting
14. laser mount for night-time alignment
15. multiple digital cameras mounted inside and outside for trip
recording
16. advanced noise cancellation using speakers (superposition so you
can hear still hear radio while the noise is being cancelled)

Of course, the same could be said about automobiles, and they are just
starting to catch on (still too slow IMO).

-Chaud Lapin-