Old July 6th 05, 04:52 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
link.net...

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
news:Rsywe.101244$_o.82057@attbi_s71...

Wow -- 1970! That's really a surprise.

I wonder what he was thinking at the time? Creating a new Association
sounds like the kind of thing someone would do who is facing a power
struggle for control at the top of an organization.

Was someone bucking Paul for control of EAA back in '70?

I don't know. I first learned of the EAA in 1970 when I was a mere lad of
13. That was the year the convention moved permanently to OSH and local
television began covering it. I became a member the following year. I
don't recall any effort to oust Paul but at that age I wouldn't have paid
any attention to that kind of stuff. I have since obtained all back
issues of "Sport Aviation", one of these days I'll dig into them and see
what I can find out.

The following appeared in the January 1971 "Sport Aviation" in Paul
Poberezny's "Homebuilder's Corner" column:

SPORT AVIATION ASSOCIATION?

All of you undoubtedly have noticed how commercial magazines have edged in
on the name of our organization - and, particularly the name of our
publication, SPORT AVIATION. We receive letters regularly asking about
things which have appeared in "our" magazine "Sport Flying" which happens to
be a similarly named, but commercial product. Imagine the confusion if
someone came up with the name "Sport Aviation Association" and used this in
the name of their publication!

Therefore, EAA has registered the name "Sport Aviation Association" and has
formed a corporation - so as to protect the name and reputation of our
existing organization.

Due to the increased pressure on all sport flyers in the form of
ever-tightening government control, problems with the press, insurance
companies, and even other aviation groups over the real meaning of the word
"experimental" - many EAA members have expressed a desire to change the name
of EAA to something like "SAA" (for "Sport Aviation Association"). Further,
they would continue the widening of the scope of the organization to include
a larger number of enthusiasts so as to offer a more massive front to those
who would legislate sport flyers out of the air. It should be noted that
most of these sincere members recommend that if such a name change were ever
made, that it be done gradually over a period of years to forestall a
self-induced identity crisis.

At any rate, the name "Sport Aviation Association" is now protected - if we
ever decide to use it, it's there. What are your comments on this?

Sincerely,

Paul H. Poberezny

PRESIDENT