Old March 8th 04, 08:18 AM
Peter Twydell

In article , Guy Alcala
writes
Kevin Brooks wrote:

"Ron" wrote in message
Be careful Kevin, dont want to have to call you Kurt Plummer

OK, I give...what/who is a Kurt Plummer? It's late here, and I am

scratching
my head...

Brooks

Its kind of a joke now that he does not seem to post here anymore, but his
postings seemed to be composed almost entirely of acronyms.

Those who have been here for a while will know who i am talking about.

thought
of him.

Gee, thanks Ron, you really know how to stroke a guy's ego... :-) Messeur
Plummer apparently abdicated about the time I started participating in the
group (nad no, damnit, that should *not* infer that I am him, or he is
me...).

I *usually* try to include the full nomenclature for any acronyms that might
be unintelligible to the general, but militarily knowledgable, reader. I
think most folks here know what GMLRS and ATACMS are. That said, I reread
that passage after I wrote it--it was not the acronyms that bothered me so
much as the rather tortuous logic chain I was trying to contstruct. Not one
of my better efforts, I'd agree. Mea culpa.

Kevin, it wasn't a problem, and the logic chain and acronynm use was fine. Lots
of acronyms was just part of what made KP's posts so special. Here's a tutorial
I once wrote, explaining how to read Kurt's posts:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...414A898%40post
office.pacbell.net&prev=/groups%3Fsafe%3Dimages%26ie%3DISO-8859-1%26as_ugroup%3D
rec.aviation.military%26as_usubject%3DPlummer-English%2520dictionary%26as_drrb%3
Db%26as_mind%3D12%26as_minm%3D5%26as_miny%3D2001% 26as_maxd%3D29%26as_maxm%3D2%26
as_maxy%3D2004%26lr%3D%26num%3D100%26hl%3Den

Guy

When I first encountered KP, I thought the reason I couldn't understand
him was my own ignorance. My eventual conclusion for 99% of what he
posted was BS/WTF.
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!