Old August 16th 17, 03:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default ASW27B prices falling

On Wednesday, August 16, 2017 at 9:14:28 AM UTC-4, krasw wrote:
I think historically glider prices have been extremely stable, you basically get your original investment back when selling (minus inflation). I just selled my glider after 10 years of use with same price as a paid for it, and bought another one for the same price original owner paid 10 years ago.

Glider popularity topped at early 90's, since then number of pilots have dropped significantly. And even them market of used gliders have been remarkably solid. Maybe during last decade or so price of some pure gliders has dropped a bit, especially if glider has no engine or does not have particularly good price/performance ratio, and ASW27 most certainly has neither of these qualities. Nothing to worry about, just drop your price a bit.

I sold my '27 after 17 years of fun for almost exactly what I had in it(made a couple thousand). That, and $50,000 moved me to the next step('29). I got a really nice glider, about 4% more performance, 40% higher insurance, and heavier wings to rig.
27's are one of the great sailplanes we have and are a very good value, relative to the fleet.
Anybody that thinks they can buy a '27 cheap enough to pay for the coming refinish is kidding themselves. You can realize about 1/2 the cost of a good refinish in market value.
The rest comes down to what the market will pay. I note that there is one '27 for sale on the German website and it is at a bit over $80k USD.
FWIW
UH