Old October 19th 18, 07:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Gibbons[_2_]

Default 17.6 meter tips for Ventus C ?

On Fri, 19 Oct 2018 06:29:22 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

If memory serves SH did at one time offer a kit to extend the 16.6 tips to 17.6.
I was tempted to do the mod but was unable to find a spare set of 16.6 tips
so I could keep “my” 16.6 tips as standard. Even called out to Applebay to see
if JDs tips might have been salvagable, but no luck.

I ordered the 16.6-17.6 tip extension kit from SH in 2000 ($1862 at
the time) and installed the kit on my Ventus C (1987) that came from
the factory with 16.6m tips. As others have noted for Ventus during
this period, this ship was originally imported as a B model, and later
re-placarded as a C model. It appears this was the case for most
Ventus models SN 285-352.

Mod involved cutting off the outer 4 inches of the 16.6m tips and
butting the 17.6m extensions onto the reminder of the 16.6m tips with
carbon cloth overlays.

I have photos of the process if anyone is interested.

Bob