Old June 17th 04, 02:43 AM
Doug \Woody\ and Erin Beal

On 6/16/04 2:03 PM, in article ,
"Mike Weeks" wrote:

This might be of some interest. Throw out all those other transition
schedules
we've seen. g

start
DEFENSE DAILY 16 JUN 04

Tomcat Transition To Super Hornet Complete By Fall '06, Admiral Says

By Lorenzo Cortes

The Navy will successfully retire the remainder of its Northrop Grumman [NOC]
F-14 Tomcat fleet in fall 2006 thanks to an accelerated schedule that also
includes introducing Boeing [BA] F/A-18E/F Super Hornet fighter-bombers
earlier, according to the Atlantic Fleet's air forces chief.

"One of the things that we have been able to do as a result of some good
production with our industry partners with the success of the multiyear with
the E and F is we were able to look at and make a decision to accelerate the
transition of the last of the F-14 squadrons to the F/A-18E/F," Rear Adm. Jim
Zortman, commander of Naval Air Forces Atlantic, said last week during the
Association of Naval Aviation's 2004 convention in Vienna, Va. "That is taking
place right now,
and by fall of '06, we will have made that transition. ...
end

MW

This is a good thing (as much as I personally hate to see the Tomcat go).

Just think. Soon, kids will be asking their dad's to see that Top Gun movie
with all the antique fighters in it.

--Woody