Old June 23rd 04, 11:08 PM
Richard Lamb

Steve VanSickle wrote:

From article , by Richard Lamb Steve VanSickle wrote:

Because it was designed to be a sub-orbital ship...

This particular *design* won't work, yes, but why not the "method" (i.e.
moving surfaces to make for a "hands off" reentry)?

if they can stand up to 3000 degree heat...

Reentry from orbit is a vastly more difficult proposition.

All to the speeds involved.

Yes, it is more difficult. Yes, much hotter, much more energy. But I
have heard many people claim that the "shuttlecock" method Burt developed
"won't work" from orbit, and no one says *why*. If shuttle wings can be
protected (most of the time) from the heat, why can't Burt's wings?

That seems like a reasonable question.
Wish I knew a reasonable answer.

Taking a not so scientific wild assed guess(?) it might have to
do with the amount of area exposed to the plasma stream.

On the Orbiter, only (mostly?) the leading edges are exposed to
that level of heating.

The birdie approach splays a LOT of wing surface into the stream.
That would create a LOT of friction heat. Could also maybe have
to do with structural limitations of non-unobtainium?

Lastly, just maybe, the nay sayers are wrong?

Next time I'm out on the road, I'll stop in at a Holiday Inn Express.
Maybe I can zoom up some better sounding answers then?

Richard