Old September 20th 04, 05:06 AM
Jim Carter

wrote in message
And you would be wrong.

From 14 CFR 61.113 (c)

...provided the expenses involve only fuel, oil, airport expeditures, or
rental fees.

As a US private pilot, you can't "share" the cost of such things as engine
overhauls, home based tie down fees, insurance, normal maintenance, etc.

Jim Pennino

And "airport expenditures" would be? I interpret that to mean any
expenditure I make to maintain the aircraft at the airport in an airworthy
condition. Admittedly, "airport expenditures" is rather abstract and might
go either way, but until it is more properly defined mighten it also cover
maintenance, hanger or tie down, and any other expense at the airport for
the aircraft? The CFR doesn't specifically say landing fee, or parking fee,
but it could have.

Please understand, I'm not advocating any fees or charges here. What I am
saying is that it should be up to the owner to decide what the hourly rate
is that the passenger would be splitting, not the passenger. That was the
whole point of my post and I believe I even said so in a previous note.