Old January 9th 04, 06:48 AM
ShawnD2112

You bet, Dudley, on both counts.

To date all we've really done is trade lead and wing, mostly echelon right,
practicing straight and level station-keeping, gentle turns left/right,
gentle climbs and decents. It's still hard enough keeping in some kind of
reasonable position that anything more challenging is still for the future.
We still fall out of turns once in a while, as you'd imagine.

Just out of curiousity, do you have any formation time in Pitts Specials?
If so, what do you use as visual references in echelon to keep your
position? We've gotten some conflicting advice about the best position.

Shawn
"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Best of luck down there and have a great time. Hope all goes well with

what
you're planning for 05.
One thing though Shawn; don't get too close to those Cape Buffs down

there.
I understand that if they get mad at you for some reason or other, they

can
take do great harm to a Pitts!!! :-))
Have fun and let me know how you make out with your show will you?
All the best as always,
Dudley

"ShawnD2112" wrote in message
Thanks for the heads up on this one, Dudley.

Oddly enough, am going on vacation to Capetown on Sat for two weeks.

Have
asked about two copies being sent to my hotel, one for me, one for my

flying
partner. We're just starting out on some basic station keeping

formation
and hope to be able to put together a small show routine for Summer 05

or
so. Lots of work and lots to learn in the meantime, but we've had a

blast
doing what little we've done so far.

Shawn
Pitts S-1D G-BKVP
"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
news

"Snowbird" wrote in message
om...
"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
thlink.net...
For those of you interested in air shows, both military and

civilian,
,
and
whose interest goes WAY beyond the norm and into the very guts of

the
subject; I'd like to announce that the consummate book on this

subject
"Zero
Error Margin; Airshow Display Flying Analyzed " has just been

released
and
is now available. ...

Wow, this is saying a lot, coming from you. Is it anything the
'lay pilot' could appreciate, or do you think one has to be
an aerobatic pilot or an airshow performer to appreciate it?

Cheers,
Sydney

The book will probably end up being the finest piece ever done on this
subject. In fact, considering it's scope, it should stand alone now as
unique. It will easily qualify as legally acceptable reference

material
when
expert opinion has to be verified concerning the issues dealt with in

the
book.
I will have the finished book in my hands next week. As of now, I only

have
the material that I've been working on with Col Barker over the past

two
years, and individual chapters sent to me to be proofed, but from what

I've
seen so far, for anyone having any interest at all in the safety

issues
that
surround the air show venue, this book will be a must have! The

collected
group gathered together to do this work are in my opinion, the best
available in the world today. Just in my own small group contributing,

the
book involved several Thunderbird alumni, including an ex team lead.
I really can't say what the interest will be for the average private

pilot
as it relates to flying. Naturally, the collective professional talent
gathered to do this project concentrated heavily on the low level

aerobatic
demonstration aspect of handling an airplane; and many makes and types

used
for this purpose are covered in textbook form. But if there's an

interest
in
learning how extremely high performance airplanes are handled

professionally
by people who are the best in the world at doing this; I would say

there's
lot that can be learned and applied to making everyday flying safer.
On the historical end, the accident data base on air shows included in

the
book is second to none. It lists every major air show related accident

of
consequence over several decades. Researchers will have a field day

reading
what the official reports said, then being privy to what the best

pilots
in
the world involved with the same kind of flying had to say for the

book
that
ADD's to those reports.
For the enthusiast, the book should be a gold mine of first hand

reporting
and research on their subject of interest.
To answer your question honestly Snow, it all depends on the interest

area
of the hypothetical "lay pilot" you describe. My recommendation would

be
purchase this book if you have any interest at all in airshows, or how

high
performance airplanes are flown by people who know high performance
airplanes. You'll get a real inside look at how these pilots think and

act
under all kinds of conditions. I would say that by the time he/she

finishes
reading this book, the average "lay pilot" should come away with at

least
few things they might want to change in the way they approach what

they
do
in the air :-)
Dudley Henriques