Old July 21st 03, 01:51 AM
BTIZ

cost depends on whether you rent from a commercial operation.. or invest
time and $$ in a club operation..

CLUB RATES: We have Schweitzer 2-33s and 1-26s for rent at $12/hr and with a
$20 charge for tow.. that equates to $32 the first hour, and $12/hr after
that.

A nice 2 seat Grob 103 is $36/hr or $30/hr with ten hour prepaid blocks
A very nice 1 Seat LS4 is $30 or $27 prepaid (10 hrs)

Can't touch those at commercial operations for less than $50/hr, plus the
tow to get started.

As for how long can you fly?? depends on the weather.. hot summer sun in
OKC.. most all day.. the "lift" should start by noon and fly until sunset.

Schweitzer 2-33 and 1-26 L/d of about 23/1
Grob 103, 36/1
LS4 41/1
That means at 41/1 for every 1000ft of altitude you can glide appx 7nm in
still air.

BT

"Chris W" wrote in message
Jay Honeck wrote:

Our own Mr. Durden has published a wonderful tale in the new AOPA Pilot

mag
about the experience of watching his daughter, Amelia, solo a glider on

her
14th birthday.

Speaking of gliders. I was wondering how much it costs compared to

renting say
a 172. I am guessing that with out the big money eating hunk of aluminum

the
propeller is attached to, a glider would be significantly less money to

fly?
In flat land (Oklahoma, no slope soaring) how long can you keep it up on a

nice
hot sunny summer day?

Chris Woodhouse
Oklahoma City

"They that can give up essential liberty
to obtain a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania