Old March 24th 05, 03:38 AM
bumper

You would be looking for a little rubber plug, probably painted red, on the
body of the jack about 2/3rds the way up from the base. Some jacks use a
screw to plug this fill/level hole, but the one on my Cobra uses the
aforementioned plug.

If you have never changed the hydraulic fluid in your jack, you might want
to do this. When I did mine after just one season, I found the oil
contaminated with metallic particles. This appears to be from rough
machining, as a very old US made Craftsman jack I checked had clean oil
after some 35 years of use!

To flush your jack, remove it from the trailer, remove plug, hold jack with
fill hole down, open release screw and manually extend and retract ram to
expel the old oil. Put a small amount of new oil in and cycle jack, drain
and then refill with new oil.

I didn't feel that the above, though easy enough, would remove all the
contamination from mine, so disassembled it for a thorough cleaning.

BTW, I think the contamination I found may be responsible for so many of
these jacks leaking etc.

all the best,

bumper
"Gary Emerson" wrote in message
What am I looking for as far as where to fill the hydraulic ramp jack w/
more oil?