Old February 18th 04, 06:02 PM
Keith Willshaw

"robert arndt" wrote in message
om...
"Keith Willshaw" wrote in message

"Erich Adler" wrote in message
m...
I see that no civil discussion can take place here despite the fact
that you "adults" claim to cherish military aviation. So why all the
fuss about German aircraft, jets or otherwise?

I live in America now but don't like the blatant arrogance I see
whenever history is talked about in regards to military aircraft.
Every American I have had discussions with usually end up in disaster
because the ignorant American can't get it through his thick skull
that they owe practically everything to Germany in the field of modern
military aviation.

We could discuss Allied centrifugal jets that lost out in the long
run. German engineers told them that in 1945.

American and US companies were already working on axial flow designs
before the end of the war. They knew very well that the centrifugal
design had a limited scope for development but they also knew
it would be easier to produce a reliable engine that way. This
turned out to be correct.

Only due to the German lack of strategic materials for higher quality
jet construction. Nevertheless, they did remarkably well with
synthetic lubricants and materials to keep their jets flying. Their
latter axial designs were much greater than your postwar centrifugals
and one engine the DB 109-016 which was tested in March 1945 produced
28,652 lb thrust making it the world's most powerful jet at the time.

Of course it never actually flew

The Germans also invented the afterburner with the Jumo 004E at the
end of the war. Postwar, the Soviets made good use of other designs,
especially the German derived turboprops.

Which used more fuel and produced less thrust than the Nene

We could discuss the US
reliance on German wind tunnel data to build a large variety of
postwar military aircraft and research aircraft. We could discuss the
various guns and missile systems copied by the US and Allies to be
applied to those military aircraft. We could talk about the German
invention of stealth that the US applied to both the U-2 and SR-71.
Lastly we could talk about the taboo discs and forms of propulsion
beyond the axial-flow Jumo 004B, which was way beyong US science of
the time and not even perfected until possibly the late 1980s or '90s.

Bull**** , the Jumo 004B was a typical first generation engine in terms
of performance with woeful reliability and had poorer performance
than the Derwent. This is of course why the Soviets used the
RR centrifugal engine in the Mig-15

Can't you read, he said the engines BEYOND the Jumo 004B- the disc
engines, which created rotating electromagnetic fields, very similar
to the suspected engines of the black craft flying today... only the
Nazis seemed to have got that engine working in the '40s instead of
the '80s, '90s, 00's(?).

There is of course no evidence that anything of the sort happened

Keith