Old December 8th 06, 10:12 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.misc
Geoff Miller

Default Airbus A380 in Arizona

Ad absurdum per aspera writes:

The 747 supposedly still has an underwing hardpoint meant for
ferrying a spare engine. Dunno if this is general purpose or
only suitable for the type(s) of engines used on the 747.

Good question. I've only ever seen pictures of such planes carrying
spare engines of the same type they use, or at least of the same
shape. But who knows what might be out there?

However, I think this has gotten somewhat passe' due to various
factors, including increasing availability of freighter variants
of the widebodies, the low probability of zorching an engine so
badly that you have to replace the whole thing rather than put in
parts or subassemblies, and more engine repair facilities in more
places.

I suspect that the parts that are both the most likely to fail and
the easiest to replace (generators, pumps, valves, etc.) are readily
available along a given route and pretty much always have been, so
I'd lean toward the freighter-availability explanation.

Geoff

--
"The left has a whole vocabulary devoted to depicting people who
do not meet standards as people who have been denied 'access.'"