Old September 18th 07, 07:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.misc
Bob Fry

Default "From the Earth to the Moon" DVD set

Maybe this is old stuff for most on this newsgroup, but I just
discovered this.

I rarely if ever hawk a particular product on Usenet, but this older
DVD set (1998) is fantastic. My brother-in-law gave it to me for
Christmas....thinking it was some boring collection of fuzzy
black-and-white 1960s TV clips I didn't start looking at it 'till now.
Well I was 100% wrong. It is an originally made (a la "Apollo 13")
movie documenting the man-to-the-moon effort from 1961 (Mercury) to
1972 (Apollo 17). I was in elementary through high school during that
time and this was kind of a trip down memory lane. I was impressed
with the inside details I never knew at the time. Especially good is
the segment showing the conversion of the astronauts from fly guys to
geologists. Stuff like this is critical to a project to move from
mediocre to outstanding, yet rarely is presented this clearly for the
layman to see.

As an engineer myself I was envious of everybody involved with the
project: an all-out effort for a difficult but clearly stated goal, a
far cry from my current work in state water issues where the biggest
concern is to see how little work one can accomplish while the
politicians dither over vague notions.

http://www.amazon.com/Earth-Moon-Fou.../dp/0783114222

If nothing else visit the link and read the reviews. Out of 234
total, 198 are 5 stars and 18 4 stars.