Old June 9th 13, 11:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Don Johnstone[_4_]

Default Improved shear/stall-spin alarms

At 16:04 09 June 2013, Bill D wrote:
On Sunday, June 9, 2013 9:19:11 AM UTC-6, Dan Marotta wrote:
Technology is a wonderful thing and, given the time and money, we

engineers can develop anything you desire.

BUT... Would another bell or whistle really improve safety over simply

learning to fly correctly? Have we become so insulated from our
surroundings that we can't recognize a burble in the controls,a slacking

of
pressure, a reduction in air noise?

___________________

Some form of AoA sensing/stall warning is installed on every aircraft

made
- except rotorcraft and gliders. The sling-wing guys have an excuse, we
don't. I think our terrible safety record speaks volumes.

Clearly, pilots don't universally recognize impending stall/spins. We've
been trying to get them to do so for the entire history of flight without
much success. It time for another solution now that we have the
technology.

Why don't they? If they are properly trained they should. If they are
regularly checked they should.
A lot more time is spent, IMHO too much time, teaching the recovery from a
stall/spin and far too little time is making sure that people do really
recognise the signs of an approaching stall. Knowing the recovery from a
stall and being super reactive in applying corrective action for a fully
developed spin in the final turn is more likely to kill you that letting
the spin continue. Recognising the signs of an approaching stall and taking
the corrective action will save you every time. Recognising the signs of an
approaching stall is not difficult so why do people get caught out.
The problem with replacing skill and good practice with technology is that
people come to rely on the technology and when it fails are completely
screwed.
As a very experienced airline pilot put it. Automatic take off, automatic
flying and automatic landing = automatic crash.