Old July 14th 03, 10:28 PM
Jay Honeck

If they close the airport, how will the teams of the U of I get to
away games and away teams get to Iowa City to play? Seems the
University should have an input in this?

They'll fly commercial out of Cedar Rapids. They do now, for many games,
cuz our runways aren't long enough to accommodate a charter plane big enough
to carry the whole football team.

Has anyone checked the number of planes parked on airport when the
football team plays?

Heh -- that would be me. Every game day I write all the "N" numbers down,
and send 'em a postcard -- so I know PRECISELY how many planes fly in for
games. Suffice it to say, it's dozens and dozens -- as many as 50 --
depending on the caliber and proximity of the team they're playing.

Has anyone gotten together a committee with representatives of all the
actifities/companies that need/use the airport and flood the council
meetings to show support for airport?

Crap, Big John, I tried starting an "Iowa City Pilot's Association" here a
few months ago. I got as far as getting the "URL" for a website, and
getting the mailing list of all pilots in the area. Then I quickly ran out
of time when we hit the "busy season" at the inn, and the idea was
stillborn.

We really, REALLY need a "retired guy" with unlimited time to devote to this
endeavor, as a Pilot's Association would provide a positive voice that
simply isn't being heard here. It would even up the odds, since the
opposition seems to have DOZENS of "university guys" that apparently have
unlimited time to devote to bending people's ears...

I sometimes think all of us Iowans with common sense got out when we
could. G

Well, for better (and worse) Iowa City really ain't "Iowa"... At least not
the way most people think of it.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA