Old September 9th 03, 03:52 AM
Bob Gardner

Guess if I lived in tornado country I would go the extra mile myself. As I
recall, the NWS guys from Seattle went down to OK to train on the Doppler
while it was under construction up here.

Bob

"Tom Pappano" wrote in message
Bob Gardner wrote:
Dunno about Florida, but up here all the sources you note come from one
place: the Doppler radar belonging to the National Weather Service. Do
"local news services" actually buy and operate their own radars?

Bob Gardner

"Hankal" wrote in message

Weather radar.
Which weather radar are you using for preflight?
NOAA, AOPA, local news facility?
Or any others?
I am sure there are many of them.
Hank

Hi Bob,

Here in Tulsa, in "Tornado Alley", all three major tv stations have
their own doppler. One station even has two, spaced several miles
apart, to eliminate any blind spots directly over their antenna sites.
With the lethal effects of tornadoes, especially in recent years, no one
around here depends on just NEXRAD.

A "wide area radar network" has been implemented by area stations
merging data from private radars, so that storm activity can be
precisely display over most of the state. During severe weather,
the positions of the various storm artifacts are displayed
and called out to the public minute by minute down to the "street
level", even in many of the smallest communities.

It's not unsual for an entire night of "prime time" to be completely
prempted by the weather guys, on into the wee hours, when the +TS
moves through.

Tom Pappano, PP-ASEL-IA