Old May 10th 08, 12:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

Default Machinists Call for Airline Re-Regulation

On Fri, 9 May 2008 16:11:13 -0700 (PDT), "Robert M. Gary"
wrote in
:

On May 9, 10:36*am, Larry Dighera wrote:

If the competition starts charging passengers for pillows and
blankets, it will ripple through the other air carriers, and ticket
prices will fall commensurately across them all, right? *And if one
airline in it's attempt to increase revenues reduces leg-room so that
it can carry more passengers in a given aircraft, the other's will
have to follow suit, or become priced out of the market, so ticket
prices fall, right? *Competition frees airlines to self-regulate; how
can that be bad? *So why is Congress being asked to re-regulate
airlines?

Because some people make a great deal of money off gov't regulation.

Which 'people' mad a great deal of money due to airline regulation in
the past?

In fact, that is what gov't regulation does. It disrupts the natural
forces of the market and directs artificial amount of money towards
certain people.

There's little question that government regulation "disrupts the
natural forces of the market," but I don't see that as a bad thing.

I'm afraid I don't understand how government regulation "directs an
artificial amount of money towards certain people," unless your
referring to corrupt government regulators and politicians.

In this case the union dudes are afraid they aren't
getting enough right now.

I think it's more a matter of those currently employed by the airlines
fearing the inevitable firings usually associated with
consolidation/mergers.