Old March 13th 10, 01:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Default KJZI (Charleston Executive, S.C.) ILS RWY 9 DME Required

wrote:

On Mar 12, 8:15 pm, Sam Spade wrote:

wrote:

If you want to indeed circle to land (assuming a CAT A airplane) you
indeed do not want to leave 840 until *after* the MAP if you want to
land on 35. But, if you want to land on 17 and have that runway in
sight a mile or two prior to the airport, why would you remain at 840
instead of leaving 840 in order to make a normal descent for landing on 17?

I have to cross mid field, downwind base and final. 500 AGL is close
enough to terra firma for me.

One of my boring videos will show you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFR8zmSpIgE

Start at 4:40 and if this doesn't make it clear, I don't know what
will.

Repeating myself: if you have 17 in sight a mile or two prior to the
MDA why would you not align yourself with the runway and descend
straight ahead in a normal descent for landing?