Old November 10th 06, 02:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
.Blueskies.

Default Winds A Factor In Lidle Crash

"T o d d P a t t i s t" wrote in message
: ".Blueskies." wrote:
:
: Just push some 'top rudder' to help hold the nose up while you are doing that steep turn. Report back your
findings...
:
: I've done steep turns with many students. None have *ever*
: tried to use top rudder to hold the nose up. It's just not
: something they think of doing. When the nose gets low and
: speed builds, they pull the stick back - sometimes to great
: excess, when what they should be doing is taking out some
: bank, then bringing the stick back. Even when they haul
: back on the stick in a vain attempt to bring the nose up,
: we've never been close to stall.
:
: In contrast, I have often seen a student try to sneak in
: some rudder to make the base to final turn a bit faster when
: what they should be doing is rolling in some more bank -
: something they are afraid to do.

What angle of bank do you do accelerated stalls at? We always did them at 45° bank or a little more. Really no that
hard to do...

I did have a student once who got all out of whack doing steep turns to the left. I watched the ball drop to the bottom
as we slowed down and then it snapped right over into a right spin. He never saw it coming and it was a great lesson...