Old December 3rd 03, 05:18 AM
John Keeney

"Scott Ferrin" wrote in message

It's interesting how times have changed. Unless you happen to live by
a base you wouldn't even know the US *has* a military. Most of their
exercises and training seems to be in the middle of BFE. I think I've
seen tanks on trains twice in my life and military vehicles driving on
the freeway maybe three or four times. I live in northern Utah and
the place has it's share of bases but even still I moved fifteen miles
from the airbase here and nadda.

As you say, a function of where you live.
I live 30 some miles from Fort Knox and will occasionally see the
odd tank (as in "what is under that tarp") on a flat-bed on the interstate.
It's not very unusual to see one to a half dozen military vehicles on
the interstate on a weekend drive out of town: I assume Guard &
Reserves for the most part. Though I know when the Strikers were
working up at Knox they went on at least one road march making a
big loop on some of the major highways in Kentucky.
Back around Desert Shield I saw train loads of armor on the sidings
but other than that, just the rare ones & twos on trains.

If you fish the forest lakes on weekends, you'll see a low level fighter
one a month or so. Helicopters about the same frequency following
the Ohio River.