Old July 1st 09, 07:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Parowan Fatal Crash

On Jul 1, 1:41*pm, Ramy wrote:
On Jul 1, 10:21*am, Frank Whiteley wrote:

On Jul 1, 10:55*am, ContestID67 wrote:

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_12717073

There've been some conflicting reports. *This has a bit more detailhttp://www.thespectrum.com/article/20090701/NEWS01/907010314/Glider+a...

We are having a horrible year. 2 fatal crashes in 2 US regional
contests one day after the other. Both sounds like the glider suddenly
plummeted to the ground. Very depressing. I hope we will find out one
day why very experienced pilots suddenly loose control and hit the
ground.

Ramy

This is a sad reminder that any of us can kill themselves. There is no
absolute solution, short of not flying, but there are things we can
all do.
1) Study these events and learn from them
2) Get some additional training
3) Fly regularly. Get advice from good sources- who may not tell you
what you want to hear.
4) Promise ourselves(and our families) that we will look for risks and
eliminate them, or at least minimize them. THEN- Do what we promise
ourselves.
5) Never count on luck.
From a guy that got away with one(and didn't think he would ever put
himself in that kind of situation).