Old September 20th 04, 03:27 PM
Theecmo

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the MANG duty in a non-drilling status?
If so, wouldn't that mean he didn't report to anybody?

As for the th's and st's and character spacing, I am forced to go by the
myriad of experts and not one of them I have heard says these were common on
a "typewriter" in the 30's. Now, I know they were used in typesetting, but
on a typewriter? Please provide links to back up your assertions.

"Tammy" wrote in message
m...
Of course, this document http://users.cis.net/coldfeet/doc10.gif
released by the White House as proof of Bush's service, has the same
font, same proportional spacing, and same "th" character (3rd line
"111th"). Not suprising since all three were in common use since the
1930s.

The Bush/GOP media machine is caught lying once again.

And Bush hasn't yet claimed that the information contained within the
memos is inaccurate.

And Bush hasn't claimed that he actually showed up for the
Masachusetts National Guard (where he transfered when he moved to
Massachusetts).

"Steve R." wrote in message

"Bob" wrote in message
On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 02:09:39 GMT, Fred J. McCall
wrote:

Hugh Sedditt wrote:

:I do get it.

You're not even in the same country.

:He was ordered to take the physical.

Nope. He was SCHEDULED for a physical. I was never ORDERED to take

physical in my life.

You might want to read the new "memos." He was "ordered" according to
one of those.

snip

This has been said before in other threads, but what the heck.
http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/....ap/index.html

Authenticity of Bush Guard memos questioned
Friday, September 10, 2004 Posted: 4:21 PM EDT (2021 GMT)

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Questions are being raised about the authenticity of
newly unearthed memos which asserted that George W. Bush ignored an

order
from a superior officer in the Texas Air National Guard and lost his

status
as a pilot because he failed to meet military performance standards and
undergo a required physical exam.

CBS, which reported on the memos on its "60 Minutes" program, said its
experts who examined the documents concluded that they were authentic.

They ostensibly were written by Lt. Col. Jerry Killian, one of Bush's
commanders in 1972 and 1973.

But Killian's son, one of Killian's fellow officers and an independent
document examiner questioned the memos.

Gary Killian, who served in the Guard with his father and retired as a
captain in 1991, said he doubted his father would have written an

unsigned
memo which said there was pressure to "sugar coat" Bush's performance
review.

"It just wouldn't happen," he said. "No officer in his right mind would
write a memo like that."

The personnel chief in Killian's unit at the time also said he believes

the
documents are fake.

"They looked to me like forgeries," said Rufus Martin. "I don't think
Killian would do that, and I knew him for 17 years." Killian died in

1984.

Independent document examiner Sandra Ramsey Lines said the memos looked

like
they had been produced on a computer using Microsoft Word software.

Lines, a document expert and fellow of the American Academy of Forensic
Sciences, pointed to a superscript -- a smaller, raised "th" in "111th
Fighter Interceptor Squadron" -- as evidence indicating forgery.

Microsoft Word automatically inserts superscripts in the same style as

the
two on the memos obtained by CBS, she said.

"I'm virtually certain these were computer generated," Lines said after
reviewing copies of the documents at her office in Paradise Valley,

Arizona

She produced a nearly identical document using her computer's Microsoft

Word
software.

The Defense Department released Bush's pilot logs this week under

pressure
from a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit by The Associated Press.

Bush's Vietnam-era Air National Guard service became a focus of

Democratic
criticism this week amid a flurry of new reports about his activities.

Democrats say Bush shirked his National Guard duties, a claim Bush

denies.

Bush joined the Texas Air National Guard in 1968, serving more than a

year
on active Air Force duty while being trained to fly F-102A jets.

He was honorably discharged from the Guard in October 1973 and left the

Air
Force Reserves in May 1974.

The first four months of 1972 are at the beginning of a controversial

period
in Bush's Guard service. After taking his last flight in April 1972,

Bush
went for six months without reporting for any training drills.

In September 1972 he received permission to transfer to an Alabama Guard
unit so he could work on a political campaign there.

That May, Bush also skipped a required yearly medical examination. In
response, his commanders grounded Bush on August 1, 1972.