Old September 8th 18, 10:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Default Vario Comparison

On Saturday, September 8, 2018 at 1:13:39 PM UTC-7, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Mike Borgelt wrote on 9/5/2018 10:11 PM:
I had to derive this and I later found the derivation in a book called
"Airplane Response to Atmospheric Turbulence" by John C. Houbolt. Yep, that guy
- the one who pushed the Lunar Orbit Rendevous for Apollo.

Thank you for that reference. I had never heard of the struggle between three
methods of making it to the moon - and back. Fascinating!

Watch "From the Earth to the Moon".