Old March 12th 09, 09:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
es330td

Default Altimeter pilot watch?

On Mar 12, 10:15*am, "Darkwing" theducksmail"AT"yahoo.com wrote:
"es330td" wrote in message

The other day I saw a watch advertised as a watch for pilots that
includes an altimeter. *While I have seen these before for mountain
climbers this is the first I have seen targeted at pilots. *My first
question in seeing it was "Where is the Kollsman window?" *I tried to
find more data online but I can't seem to find one of these that can
adjust. *I assume they are all set to 29.92 but I am trying to figure
out how useful this feature would be if it can't be adjusted for local
conditions.

Here is a GPS watch that has altimeter, speed and a lot more.

http://www.aim-sportline.com/mytach/index_eng.htm

Pilots can't use this. GPS altitude (while theoretically correct) is
not the same as pressure altitude because pressure does not vary in a
linear fashion with altitude; if it did, flight levels above 29,920
feet would require liquid oxygen on board for the engines.