Old January 15th 05, 12:09 AM
Mike Kanze

WDA,

By the time I hit the Rock for A-6 type training (1972), the only training
of that type happening there was Cold Wx Environmental Survival Training
(CWEST). Essentially 3 days of "Snow Caves 101," on the slopes of Mt.
Baker, IIRC. This was actually quite practical, as we had to transit the
Cascades all the time to use the Boardman target range, the Spokane Radar
Bomb Scoring site, and the low-level routes of eastern Oregon.

All of the west coast SERE training had been consolidated at Warner Springs
by then.

Most interesting aspect of my CWEST class was that our instructor had been
the leading QM aboard PUEBLO at the time of her capture by the North
Koreans. All of us were nugget O-2s and O-3s, plus one or two junior
enlisted up for Aircrewman qualification. We got to hear all the POW
stories. (Picture a bunch of adolescent kids around the campfire as their
Scoutmaster tells them ghost stories. Not too much different.)

--
Mike Kanze

"Boy, I feel safer now that [Martha Stewart's] behind bars. O.J. & Kobe are
walking around free, but they take the ONE woman in America willing to cook
and clean and work in the yard and haul her ass to jail."

- Tim Allen

"W. D. Allen Sr." wrote in message
You should have gone through in August as I did when there was not enough
snow on Mount Baker to justify the snow survival phase.

Got sick on day-old black berries. But really enjoyed the world's best
crabs ( illegal to catch except during survival school).

WDA
A3D RAG 1962

end

"JD" wrote in message
When I was in the P3 community (VP31), I was sent to NUW for Survival
School. I forget how long it lasted, but I recall the "ogre muthas"
giving us a time or two. It was cold and wet (February) and I recall
they bused us out to some mountain for snow survival. I have no idea
where the Happy Valley compound was, but I do recall being quite
uncomfortable for some time in a little box they put me in. All in all,
quite an experience.
Hell of it is all I got was this lousy little rubber stamp "FATUPAC
DET 2 successfully completed" in my personnel jacket.

Is this kind of stuff still done?

JD
USN sailor '63 - 67
USA doctor '75 - 77