Old July 5th 05, 11:54 AM
Bill Gribble

Ian Johnston writes
PS Character tests for winch drivers number 1: refusing to launch an
ASH25 on a black link, as the pilots invariably demand, and insisting
on a brown one, as it should be...

Winch drivers from our site wouldn't get the chance to refuse. They get
told (and are expected to confirm) glider type and cable (runway or
"remaining") to launch on, but no mention of which link is in use.
Offering and accepting the correct link is (at least in our case) down
to the signaller (who also has responsibility for attaching the cable)
and pilot.

As far as character is concerned, I'm pretty certain the last time I
launched an ASH25 (as signaller, at least) it was on a black link. Or it
would have been if that was what the pilot had asked for. Unless I
absolutely know different, I take it as the pilot's responsibility, in
much the same way as I ask for confirmation from the pilot that their
airbrakes are closed before launch, but don't visually check to ensure
they've physically confirmed they're locked as a result of my asking.

The weak-link bone of contention I've come across most frequently is
with the Pilatus B4, where pilots invariably want the blue link instead
of the BGA mandated white.

--
Bill Gribble
http://www.scapegoatsanon.demon.co.uk