Old February 19th 18, 04:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Default 2018 - AN EXCITING YEAR

In my experience it's better to start out in a glider that builds up
speed quickly than to develop your habits in a drag queen and then move
up and have to essentially start over.

On 2/18/2018 10:21 PM, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Glass two seater, i.e., Nimbus 4D and ASH-25 is the most fun I have had flying gliders. Highly recommend it. However, if you are teaching, a higher drag aircraft does not build speed as fast as a sleek one.

On Sunday, February 18, 2018 at 8:50:14 PM UTC-8, Jeff Morgan wrote:
On Sunday, February 18, 2018 at 9:01:05 PM UTC-7, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:

I learned to fly gliders in the G-103, and 98% of my flight time is in high performance glass so I try to avoid as many rides in the 2-33's as possible and grab the G-103 rides.

An interesting observation with respect to outreach and growing the sport that we may miss because we are so close to it:

This fall I was talking with the new girlfriend about Soaring, and she said she wanted to try it (as a passenger). So I took her out to the club which has a very well-worn 2-33.

When my turn came up, I asked her if she was ready. She gave me a small head shake and said "no". I asked if she wanted to go up with one of the instructors instead. Same answer. I let it go and we did not speak of it.

Fast forward a week. We're at the end of the Netflix queue and looking for a movie to watch, so I pop in "A Fine Day of Soaring". She sat up sharply and pointed at the screen: "There! Take me flying in that! That looks safe!"

Two things sell to the general pubic - Sexy and Safe (looking). The 2-33 fails badly on both counts.

The bad news is I may have to buy a glass 2 seater now ...

--
Dan, 5J