Old July 26th 09, 09:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

Default Portable/back up transceiver

"RST Engineering - JIm" wrote in message
m...
NiCads a

a. Horrible for the enviornment (that's the Cad part of NiCad)
b. Have a lousy self-discharge characteristic
c. Are relatively expensive.

NiMH a

a. Not too harmful of Mother Nature
b. Have a fairly decent self-discharge characteristic
c. Are relatively inexpensive (check out thomasdistributing.com)

You may also look into a LiIon pack, depending on which radio you buy.
THey are even better than NiMH.

Jim

"Private" wrote in message

And using rechargeable NiCad's

Well, it's pretty hard to whistle any praises for NiCad batteries. I dunno
about the environmental issue, which could just possibly be overblown, but
the combination of self discharge and the possibly misnamed "memory"
charastic (when floated on a charging supply) are so bad as make any
environmental impact trivial. After all, who would buy or use one today
when much better choices are available.

As to NiMH, I am just not sold on them for occasional use products that have
to work when needed. As a real estate agent, I am simply stuck with one of
them, in the form of an electronic access key for the "secure" keysafes that
we are no using; but I damned well do not have to like it or think that they
are really a good product. My complaint is that the NiMH batteries are
temperature sensitive, and a missive was recently circulated demanding that
the devices not be left inside an automobile because of the damage that
[would] occur. In fact, to the best of my recollection, NiMH will discharge
in less than a month of disuse unless it is kept refrigerated.

Admittedly, NiMH seems to work acceptably in mild parallel hybrid
automobiles--at least if they are used almost daily. But LiIon certainly
appear to be the future!

Peter