Old December 15th 19, 12:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

Default Long Term Motorglider Launch costs

On Saturday, December 14, 2019 at 3:23:41 PM UTC-8, Nick Kennedy wrote:
Several years ago I was helping Wilf Krueger K2 strap into his DG 800B motorglider.
He looks up at me and says "here goes the most expensive tow I'll ever buy"
He smiles and takes off.
I'm curious from those in the know, how much did that launch
really cost him?
Over say 25 flights a year over 10 years how much roughly does it cost per gasoline powered motorglider launch?
Including ALL maintenance and fuel and parts. And hands on time to keep the engine running at say 75/hr labor. Extra annual inspection costs too.
That's 250 launches
In my LS3a my average launch seems to be about 65 bucks.
65X 250 launches = $16,250

What are you motorheads really paying per launch over time?
Do you try to keep track?
Or is it just one of those necessary life expense's you really don't want to know the total as you'd pay it no matter what ?
Thanks in advance

I've always said that NOBODY buys a MG to save money on tows. It falls more into the category of that's the ONLY way to get airborne. I guess you could by a towplane and hire or find a tow pilot. Cost savings, if any, occur by avoiding travel costs to a site with a towplane, which can be considerable. One weekend away from home can run $300 - $500. Finally, it can save you the cost of a divorce, which I understand to be VERY EXPENSIVE.

Tom