Old February 2nd 18, 05:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Default New pilot looking for glider to purchase.

On Thursday, February 1, 2018 at 9:16:37 PM UTC-7, Kirk Robertson wrote:
On Thursday, February 1, 2018 at 7:20:15 PM UTC-8, Tim Taylor wrote:
Kirk,

Welocome to RAS. More details about you and what you are looking for will help others give you plentiful advice.
1. Your flight experience
2. Where are you located?
3. How tall are you and about much do you weigh?
4. What do you consider affordable?

I'm a low time (less than 100hrs) power pilot that just got my glider rating.
Nearby Bakersfield, CA. North of the Los Angeles area by a couple hours.
I'm 5'9 and 190 lbs
It depends on the glider but with a nice trailer I could spend up to around $20k

http://wingsandwheels.com/class/classified.php?id=2222 is near enough to check out. Depends how broad shouldered you are and torso length maybe. Panel and equipment sound dated. Tow hooks may need attention. Yes, you'll want a reliable trailer given your location. I'd suggest stopping in at the Avenal club. Maybe somebody within a range of experience looking over gliders can go with you to check out the Libelle. If there's no parachute, perhaps they can bring/loan one so you can try it for size. Check on the damage history and most recent W/B.

Consider joining the SSA, http://www.ssa.org and coming to the convention in Reno http://www.ssaconvention.org

Call me if you like,

Frank Whiteley
970-330-2050 7am-10pm MST